soft condensed matter, biomaterials, complex fluids, biomimetic materials, X-ray scattering, drug and gene delivery, lipid-nucleic acid constructs
Academic and Scientific Experience
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- MSE 201 - Phases and Phase Relations
- MSE 473 - Biomolecular Materials Science
- MSE 559 - Soft Materials Seminar
- MSE 595 - Materials Colloquium
Post-Doctoral Research OpportunitiesPost-Doctoral Research Opportunities:
We seek a motivated candidate for a postdoctoral research position in the laboratory of Prof.Cecilia Leal at the Materials Science and Engineering Department of the University of Illinois at UrbanaChampaign, funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The position is renewed annually and intended for two years. The candidate will design and characterize soft nanoparticles for cellular delivery applications. The postdoc will have the opportunity to: i) characterize the nanoparticles with advanced electron microscopy and scattering techniques, ii) test nanoparticle efficacy in cell culture, iii) image nanoparticle fate in cells and organelles by fluorescence microscopy.
Chapters in Books
- The hydration of DNA – amphiphile complexes: C. Leal and H. Wennerström in DNA Interactions with polymers and surfactants, Dias, R.S. and Lindman, B. (eds). Wiley-Blackwell, Boston, MA, 2008. (Featured in the book cover)
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. Shin, M. Kang, T. Tsai, C. Leal, P.V. Braun, D.G. Cahill, “Thermally functional liquid crystal networks by magnetic field driven molecular orientation” ACS Macro Lett 5, 955-960 (2016).
- M. Kang, C. Leal, “Soft Nanostructured Films for Actuated Surface-Based siRNA Delivery” Adv Funct Mater 26, 5610–5620 (2016). [Featured in the journal cover]
- C. H. Lee, H. Kim, D. Harburg, G. Park, Y. Ma, T. Pan, J. S. Kim, N. Y. Lee, B. H. Kim, K.-I. Jang, S.-K. Kang, Y. Huang, J. Kim, K.-M. Lee, C. Leal, J. A. Rogers, "Biological lipid membranes for on-demand, wireless drug delivery from thin, bioresorbable electronic implants". NPG. Asia. Mater. 7(e227), 969-973 (2015).
- H. Kim, C. Leal,. “Cuboplexes: Topologically Active siRNA Delivery“ ACS Nano, 9, 10214–10226 (2015).
- Z. Song, H. Kim, X. Ba, R. Baumgartner, J.S. Lee, H. Tang, C. Leal, J Cheng. “Polypeptide vesicles with densely packed multilayer membranes“ Soft Matter 20, 4091-4098 (2015).
- L.A. Jurado, H. Kim, A. Arcifa, A. Rossi, C. Leal, N.D. Spencer, R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, “Irreversible structural change of a dry ionic liquid under nanoconfinement“ Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17, 13613 –13624 (2015).
- M. Kang, G. Huang, C. Leal, “Role of lipid polymorphism in acoustically sensitive liposomes“ Soft Matter 10, 8846–8854 (2014).
- C. Leal, N. F. Bouxsein, K. K. Ewert, C. R. Safinya, "Highly efficient gene silencing activity of siRNA embedded in a nanostructured gyroid cubic lipid matrix," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 16841–16847 (2010).
- C. Leal, D. Sandström, P. Nevsten, D. Topgaard, "Local and translational dynamics in DNA–lipid assemblies monitored by solid-state and diffusion NMR," Biochim. Biophys. Acta – Biomembranes 1778, 214–228 (2008).
- C. Leal, D. Topgaard, H. Wennerström, "NMR Studies of Molecular Mobility in a DNA−Amphiphile Complex," J. Phys. Chem. B 108, 15392–15397 (2004).
- C. Leal, L. Wadsö, G. Olofsson, M. Miguel, H. Wennerström, "The Hydration of a DNA−Amphiphile Complex," J. Phys. Chem. B 108, 3044–3050 (2004).
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award, 2016
- NSF CAREER Award, 2016
- Swedish Research Council, postdoctoral fellowship, 2007
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students for MSE201-Phases and phase relations (Fall 2015)