soft condensed matter, biomaterials, complex fluids, biomimetic materials, X-ray scattering, drug and gene delivery, lipid-nucleic acid constructs
Academic and Scientific Experience
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- MSE 201 - Phases and Phase Relations
- MSE 473 - Biomolecular Materials Science
- MSE 559 - Soft Materials Seminar
- MSE 595 - Materials Colloquium
Chapters in Books
- The hydration of DNA – amphiphile complexes: C. Leal and H. Wennerström in DNA Interactions with polymers and surfactants, Dias, R.S. and Lindman, B. (eds). Wiley-Blackwell, Boston, MA, 2008. (Featured in the book cover)
Selected Articles in Journals
- D. Steer, M. Kang, C. Leal, "Soft nanostructured films for directing the assembly of functional materials" Nanotechnology, 28, 142001 (17 pp) (2017).
- M. Kang, H. Kim, C. Leal, “Self-organization of nucleic acids in lipid constructs” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science 26, 58-65 (2016).
- R. Mansbach, A. Ferguson, K. Kilian, J. Krogstad, C. Leal, A. Schleife, D. R. Trinkle, M. West, G. L. Herman, “Reforming an undergraduate materials science curriculum with computational modules” Journal of Materials Education 38, 161-174 (2016).
- S. Uzan, H. Kim, C. Leal. G.W. Padua, “Ethanol-induced whey protein gels as carriers for lutein droplets” Food Hydrocolloids 61, 426-432 (2016).
- J. Shin, M. Kang, T. Tsai, C. Leal, P.V. Braun, D.G. Cahill, “Thermally functional liquid crystal networks by magnetic field driven molecular orientation” ACS Macro Lett 5, 955-960 (2016).
- M. Kang, C. Leal, “Soft Nanostructured Films for Actuated Surface-Based siRNA Delivery” Adv Funct Mater 26, 5610–5620 (2016). [Featured in the journal cover]
- L.A. Jurado, H. Kim, A. Rossi, A. Arcifa, J.K. Schuh, N.D. Spencer, C. Leal, R.H. Ewoldt, R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, “Effect of the environmental humidity on the bulk, interfacial and nanoconfined properties of an ionic liquid” Phys Chem Chem Phys 18, 22719-22730 (2016).
- Y.S. Yun, S. Lee, N.R. Kim, M. Kang, C. Leal, K.Y. Park, K. Kang, H.J. Jin, “High and rapid alkali cation storage in ultramicroporous carbonaceous materials” J Power Sources 313, 142-151 (2016).
- N. R. Kim, Y. S. Yun, M. Y. Song, S. J. Hong, M. Kang, C. Leal, Y. W. Park, and H.-J. Jin, "Citrus-Peel-Derived, Nanoporous Carbon Nanosheets Containing Redox-Active Heteroatoms for Sodium-Ion Storage" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 3175–3181 (2016).
- C. H. Lee, H. Kim, D. Harburg, G. Park, Y. Ma, T. Pan, J. S. Kim, N. Y. Lee, B. H. Kim, K.-I. Jang, S.-K. Kang, Y. Huang, J. Kim, K.-M. Lee, C. Leal, J. A. Rogers, "Biological lipid membranes for on-demand, wireless drug delivery from thin, bioresorbable electronic implants". NPG. Asia. Mater. 7(e227), 969-973 (2015).
- H. Kim, C. Leal,. “Cuboplexes: Topologically Active siRNA Delivery“ ACS Nano, 9, 10214–10226 (2015).
- Z. Song, H. Kim, X. Ba, R. Baumgartner, J.S. Lee, H. Tang, C. Leal, J Cheng. “Polypeptide vesicles with densely packed multilayer membranes“ Soft Matter 20, 4091-4098 (2015).
- L.A. Jurado, H. Kim, A. Arcifa, A. Rossi, C. Leal, N.D. Spencer, R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, “Irreversible structural change of a dry ionic liquid under nanoconfinement“ Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17, 13613 –13624 (2015).
- B. H. Kim, M. S. Onses, J. B. Lim, S. Nam, N. Oh, H. Kim, K. J. Yu, J. W. Lee, J.-H. Kim, S.-K. Kang, C. H. Lee, J. Lee, J. H. Shin, N. H. Kim, C. Leal, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “High-Resolution Patterns of Quantum Dots Formed by Electrohydrodynamic Jet Printing for Light-Emitting Diodes“ Nano Lett., 15, 969–973 (2015).
- M. Kang, G. Huang, C. Leal, “Role of lipid polymorphism in acoustically sensitive liposomes“ Soft Matter 10, 8846–8854 (2014).
- C. Leal, N. F. Bouxsein, K. K. Ewert, C. R. Safinya, "Highly efficient gene silencing activity of siRNA embedded in a nanostructured gyroid cubic lipid matrix," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 16841–16847 (2010).
- C. Leal, D. Sandström, P. Nevsten, D. Topgaard, "Local and translational dynamics in DNA–lipid assemblies monitored by solid-state and diffusion NMR," Biochim. Biophys. Acta – Biomembranes 1778, 214–228 (2008).
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award, 2016
- NSF CAREER Award, 2016
- Swedish Research Council, postdoctoral fellowship, 2007
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students for MSE201-Phases and phase relations (Fall 2015)