- Graduate Programs Office
nanoscale materials, chemistry and physics of low-dimensional systems, nanomaterial/biomolecule interfaces and hybrid structures, semiconductor nanocrystals, carbon nanotubes
For more information
Academic and Scientific Experience
- Professor Moonsub Shim received his B.S. degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1997 and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees both from the University of Chicago in 1998 and 2001. After working as a postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University, he joined the faculty of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Illinois in 2002. Recognitions for his achievements include the Xerox Award for Faculty Research (2007), National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2004), Racheff Assistant Professorship (2002-2004), the Willett Faculty Scholar Award (2010-2014) and Dean's Award for Excellence in Research (2014).
- MSE 395 - Materials Design
- MSE 403 - Synthesis of Materials
- MSE 404 - Low Dimensional Electronics
- MSE 404 - Novel Photovoltaics
- MSE 529 - Hard Materials Seminar
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduate research within the Shim group introduces students to the newest developments in science and engineering of nanoscale materials. It provides opportunities for the students to learn highly technical skills in materials synthesis and characterization and to contribute new knowledge to the field. It also provides the graduate students with mentoring opportunities that can be an important part of the educational process. There are ongoing undergraduate research opportunities in the Shim research group. Most undergraduate researchers have gone on to continue their education in graduate schools in science and engineering fields and many have co-authored on peer-reviewed publications while carrying out their undergraduate research.
The overarching goal of my research program is to understand charging and charge separation/recombination phenomena in materials, especially in low-dimensional systems at the nanometer length scale. Charging and charge separation/recombination are fundamental processes that govern how electronic, optoelectronic, and photovoltaic devices operate. Materials with nanometer dimensions can provide intricate control over charging and charge separation processes and allow new engineering paradigms and prospects for devices with unprecedented performance. However, ubiquitously large surface-to-volume ratio of materials in this size regime often leads to large deviations from expected properties. Understanding such unexpected behavior can in turn lead to new means of manipulating novel phenomena occurring at the nanoscale. The ability to control surface and interfacial effects is then critical in elucidating the underlying materials’ properties and in developing any future technologies. Hence, I study how charging and charge separation processes affect structure, electrical and optical properties, and chemical reactivity with special attention to the materials’ responses to variations at surfaces and interfaces. Insights gained from these studies are then exploited to develop new materials exhibiting superior properties useful for solar energy conversion and high performance nano- and macro-electronics and optoelectronics.
Selected Articles in Journals
- N. Oh, B. H. Kim, S. –Y. Cho, S. Nam, S. P. Rogers, Y. Jiang, J. C. Flanagan, Y. Zhai, J. –H. Kim, J. Lee, Y. Yu, Y. K. Cho, G. Hur, J. Zhang, P. Trefonas, J. A. Rogers, and M. Shim, “Double-Heterojunction Nanorod Light-Responsive LEDs for Novel Display Applications,” Science 355, 616 – 619 (2017).
- H. Keum, Y. Jiang, J. K. Park, J. Flanagan, M. Shim, and S. Kim, “Solvent-Free Patterning of Colloidal Quantum Dot Films Utilizing Shape Memory Polymers,” Micromachines 8, 18 (2017).
- V. Kumar, H. A. Fustér, N. Oh, Y. Zhai, K. Deshpande, M. Shim, and P. J. A. Kenis, “Continuous Flow Synthesis of Anisotropic Cadmium Selenide and Zinc Selenide Nanoparticles,” ChemNanoMat, EarlyView (2017).
- Y. Jiang, N. Oh, and M. Shim, “Double-Heterojunction Nanorod Light-Emitting Diodes with High Efficiencies at High Brightness using Self-Assembled Monolayers,” ACS Photonics, 3, 1862 – 1868 (2016).
- N. Oh and M. Shim, “Metal Oleate Induced Etching and Growth of Semiconductor Nanocrystals, Nanorods and their Heterostructures,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 138, 10444 (2016).
- C. Baeumer, C. Schmitz, A. Marchewka, D. N. Mueller, R. Valenta, J. Hackl, N. Raab, S. P. Rogers, M. I. Khan, S. Nemsak, M. Shim, S. Menzel, C. M. Schneider, R. Waser and R. Dittmann, “Quantifying redox-induced Schottky barrier variations in memristive devices via in-operando spectroscopy with electron-transparent graphene electrodes,” Nature Comm. 7, 12398 (2016).
- Z. Jiang, S. Tian, S. Lai, R. McAuliffe, S. Rogers, M. Shim, and D. Shoemaker, “Capturing phase evolution during solvothermal synthesis of metastable Cu4O3,” Chem. Mater., 28, 3080 – 3089 (2016).
- B. H. Kim, S. Nam, N. Oh, S. Y. Cho, K. J. Yu, C. H. Lee, J. Zhang, K. Deshpande, P. Trefonas, J.-H. Kim, J. Lee, J. H. Shin, Y. Yu, J. B. Lim, S.-Y. Cho, S. M. Won, N. H. Kim, K. J. Seo, H. Lee, T. Kim, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “Multilayer Transfer Printing for Pixelated, Multi-color Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes,” ACS Nano, 10, 4920 – 4925 (2016).
- J. H. Hinnefeld, R. Xu, S. Rogers, S. Pandya, M. Shim, L. Martin, and N. Mason, “Single Gate P-N Junctions in Graphene-Ferroelectric Devices,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 203109. (2016).
- Y. Zhai and M. Shim, “Cu2S/ZnS Heterostructured Nanorods: Cation Exchange vs. Solution-Liquid-Solid-like Growth,” ChemPhysChem, 17, 741 – 751 (2016).
- S. Lee, J. C. Flanagan, M. Shim, and B. Park, “Integration of CdSe/CdSexTe1-x Heterojunction Nanorods into Hierarchically Porous TiO2 Electrode for Efficient Solar Energy Conversion,” Sci. Rep. 5, 17472 (2015).
- Y. Zhai and M. Shim, “Benefitting from Ostwald Ripening in Mn Doping of II-VI Semiconductor Nanocrystals,” Nanoscale Res. Lett. 10, 423 (2015).
- J. C. Flanagan and M. Shim, “Enhanced Air-Stability, Charge Separation and Photocurrent in CdSe/CdTe Heterojunction Nanorods by Thiols,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 20162–20168 (2015).
- J. Jang, D. S. Dolzhnikov, W. Liu, S. Nam, M. Shim, and D. V. Talapin, “Solution-processed transistors using colloidal nanocrystals with composition-matched molecular “solders”: approaching single crystal mobility,” Nano Lett. 15, 6309 – 6317 (2015).
- B. H. Kim, M. S. Onses, J. B. Lim, S. Nam, N. Oh, H. J. Kim, K. J. Yu, J. W. Lee, J. –H. Kim, S. –K. Kang, C. H. Lee, J. Lee, J. H. Shin, N. H. Kim, C. Leal, M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, “High Resolution Patterns of Quantum Dots Formed by Electrohydrodynamic Jet Printing for Light-Emitting Diodes,” Nano Lett. 15, 969–973 (2015).
- S. Nam, N. Oh, Y. Zhai, and M. Shim, “High Efficiency and Optical Anisotropy in Double-Heterojunction Nanorod Light-Emitting Diodes,” ACS Nano 9, 878 – 885 (2015).
- S. Lee, A. R. Damodaran, P. Gorai, N. Oh, J. A. Moyer, J. –H. Kwon, N. Ferdous, A. Shah, Z. Chen, E. Breckenfeld, R. V. K. Mangalam, P. V. Braun, P. Schiffer, M. Shim, J. –M. Zuo, E. Ertekin, and L. W. Martin, “Novel Self-Assembled, Layered-Phase in Ti-rich SrTiO3 Epitaxial Thin Films,” Adv. Mater. 27, 861–868 (2015).
- C. Baeumer, D. Saldana-Greco, A. M. Rappe, M. Shim, and L. W. Martin, “Ferroelectrically Driven Spatial Carrier Density Modulation in Graphene,” Nature Commun. 6, 6136 (2015).
- N. R. Kim, K. Shin, I. Jung, M. Shim, and H. M. Lee, “Ag-Cu Alloy Nanoparticles with Enhanced Resistance to Oxidation: A Combined Experimental and Theoretical Study,” J. Phys. Chem. C 118, 26324 – 26331 (2014).
- B. –H. Seo, J. Youn and M. Shim, “Direct Laser Writing of Air-Stable p-n Junctions in Graphene,” ACS Nano, 8, 8831 – 8836 (2014).
- Y. Jiang, F. Xiong, C. – L. Tsai, T. Ozel, E. Pop, and M. Shim, “Self-Aligned Cu Etch Mask for Individually Addressable Metallic and Semiconducting Carbon Nanotubes,” ACS Nano 8, 6500 – 6508 (2014).
- N. Oh, S. Nam, Y. Zhai, K. Deshpande, P. Trefonas, and M. Shim, "Double Heterojunction Nanorods," Nature Commun. 5, 3642 (2014).
- C. –L. Tsai, F. Xiong, E. Pop, and M. Shim, “Resistive Random Access Memory Enabled by Carbon Nanotube Crossbar Electrodes,” ACS NANO 7, 5360-5366 (2013).
- 1C. Baeumer, S. Rogers, R. Xu, L. W. Martin, and M. Shim, “Tunable Carrier Type and Density in Graphene/PbZr0.2Ti0.8O3 Hybrid Structures through Ferroelectric Switching,” Nano Lett. 13, 1693 – 1698 (2013).
- H. McDaniel, M. Pelton, N. Oh, and M. Shim, “Effects of Lattice Strain and Band Offset on Electron Transfer Rates in Type II Nanorod Heterostructures,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 3, 1094 – 1098 (2012).
- H. McDaniel, N. Oh, and M. Shim, “CdSe/CdSexTe1-x Nanorod Heterostructures: Tuning Alloy Composition and Spatially Indirect Recombination Energies,” J. Mater. Chem. 22, 11621 – 11628 (2012).
- M. Shim, H. McDaniel, and N. Oh, “Prospects for Strained Type II Nanorod Heterostructures,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2, 2722 – 2727 (2011). Invited Perspective.
- H. McDaniel, P. E. Heil, C. -L. Tsai, K. Kim, and M. Shim, “Integration of Type II Nanorod Heterostructures into Photovoltaics,” ACS Nano, 5, 7677 – 7683 (2011).
- C. –L. Tsai, A. Liao, E. Pop, and M. Shim, “Electrical Power Dissipation in Carbon Nanotubes on Single Crystal Quartz and Amorphous SiO2,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 053120 (2011).
- K. T. Nguyen, D. Abdula, C. -L. Tsai, and M. Shim, “Temperature and Gate Voltage Dependent Raman Spectra of Single Layer Graphene,” ACS Nano, 5, 5273 – 5279 (2011).
- D. Abdula, K. T. Nguyen, K. Kang, S. Fong, T. Ozel, D. G. Cahill, and M. Shim, “Influence of Defects and Doping on Optical Phonon Lifetime and Raman Linewidth in Carbon Nanotubes,” Phys. Rev. B 83, 205419 (2011).
- S. Unarunotai, J. C. Koepke, C. –L. Tsai, F. Du, C. E. Chialvo, Y. Murata, R. Haasch, I. Petrov, N. Mason, M. Shim, J. Lyding, J. A. Rogers, “Layer-by-Layer Transfer of Large Area Sheets of Graphene Grown in Multilayer Stacks on Single SiC Wafer,” ACS Nano 4, 5591 – 5598 (2010).
- S. Kim, S. Kim, D. B. Janes, S. Mohammadi, J. Back, and M. Shim, “DC Modeling and the source of flicker noise in passivated carbon nanotube transistors,” Nanotechnology 21, 385203 (2010).
- M. Shim and H. McDaniel, “Anisotropic Nanocrystal Heterostructures: Synthesis and Lattice Strain,” Curr. Op. Sol. State Mater. Sci. 14, 83 – 94 (2010).
- K. Kang, D. Abdula, D. G. Cahill, and M. Shim, “Lifetimes of optical phonons in graphene and graphite by time-resolved incoherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering,” Phys. Rev. B 81, 165405 (2010).
- H. McDaniel, J. –M. Zuo, and M. Shim, “Anisotropic Strain Induced Curvature in Type II CdSe/CdTe Nanorod Heterostructures,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 3286(2010).
- K. H. Hsu, J. H. Back, K.-H. Fung, P. M. Ferreira, M. Shim, and N. X. Fang, “SERS EM-field Enhancement Study through Fast Raman Mapping of Optical Sierpinski Carpet Fractals,” J. Raman Spectroscopy, 41, 1124 (2010).
- J. H. Back, C. –L. Tsai, S. Kim, S. Mohammadi, and M. Shim, “Manifestation of Kohn Anomaly in 1/f Fluctuations in Metallic Carbon Nanotubes,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 215501 (2009).
- T. Ozel, D. Abdula, E. Hwang, and M. Shim, “Non-Uniform Compressive Strain in Horizontally Aligned Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Grown on Single Crystal Quartz,” ACS Nano 3, 2217 (2009).
- K. T. Nguyen and M. Shim, “Role of covalent defects on phonon softening in metallic carbon nanotubes,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 7103 (2009).
- H. McDaniel and M. Shim, “Size and Growth Rate Dependent Structural Diversification of Fe3O4/CdS Anisotropic Nanocrystal Heterostructures,” ACS Nano 3, 434 (2009).
- W.J. Huang, J.M. Zuo, B. Jiang, K.W. Kwon and M. Shim, “Sub-Å resolution diffractive imaging of single nanocrystals,” Nature Phys. 5, 129 (2009).
- S. Kim, S. Ju, J. H. Back, Y. Xuan, P. D. Ye, M. Shim, D. B. Janes, and S. Mohammadi, “Fully Transparent Thin-Film Transistors Based on Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays and Indium Tin Oxide Electrodes,” Adv. Mater. 21, 564 (2009).
- D. Abdula, T. Ozel, K. Kang, D. G. Cahill, and M. Shim, “Environment-Induced Effects on the Temperature Dependence of Raman Spectra of Single-Layer Graphene,” J. Phys. Chem. C 112, 20131 (2008).
- K. Kang, T. Ozel, D. G. Cahill, and M. Shim, “Optical phonon lifetimes in single-walled carbon nanotubes by time-resolved Raman scattering,” Nano Lett. 8, 4642 (2008).
- D. Abdula and M. Shim, “Performance and Photovoltaic Response of Polymer Doped Carbon Nanotube p-n Diodes,” ACS Nano 2, 2154 (2008).
- A. Gaur and M. Shim, “Substrate-Enhanced O2 Adsorption and Complexity in the Raman G-Band Spectra of Individual Metallic Carbon Nanotubes,” Phys. Rev. B 78, 125422 (2008).
- M. Shim, A. Gaur, K. T. Nguyen, D. Abdula, and T. Ozel, “Spectral Diversity in Raman G-band Modes of Metallic Carbon Nanotubes within a Single Chirality,” J. Phys. Chem. C 112, 13017 (2008).
- Q. Cao, H.- S. Kim, N. Pimparkar, J. P. Kulkarni, C. Wang, M. Shim, K. Roy, M. A. Alam, J. A. Rogers, “Medium Scale Carbon Nanotube Thin Film Integrated Circuits on Flexible Plastic Substrates,” Nature 454, 495 (2008).
- J. H. Back, S. Kim, S. Mohammedi, and M. Shim, “Low-Frequency Noise in Ambipolar Carbon Nanotube Transistors,” Nano Lett. 8, 1090 (2008).
- M. Shim, “En Route to Carbon Nanotube Electronics,” Material Matters 2, 16 – 18 (2007).
- C. Kocabas, S. J. Kang, T. Ozel. M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, “Improved Synthesis of Aligned Arrays of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Their Implementation in Thin Film Type Transistors,” J. Phys. Chem. C 111, 17879 (2007).
- C. Wang, K. –W. Kwon, M. Odlyzko, B. H. Lee, and M. Shim, “PbSe Nanocrystal/TiOx Heterostructured Films: A Simple Route to Nanoscale Heterointerfaces and Photocatalysis,” J. Phys. Chem. C 111, 11734 (2007).
- S. K. Kim, Y. Xuan, P. D. Ye, S. Mohammadi, J. H. Back, and M. Shim, “Atomic layer deposited Al2O3 for gate dielectric and passivation layer of single-walled carbon nanotube transistors,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 163108 (2007).
- D. Abdula, K. T. Nguyen, and M. Shim, “Raman Spectral Evolution in Individual Metallic Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes upon Covalent Bond Formation,” J. Phys. Chem. C 111, 17755 (2007).
- K. T. Nguyen, A. Gaur, and M. Shim, “Fano Lineshape and Phonon Softening in Single Isolated Metallic Carbon Nanotubes,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 145504 (2007).
- B. H. Lee, K. –W. Kwon, and M. Shim, “Semiconductor/Polymer Hybrid Colloidal Nanoparticles,” J. Mater. Chem. 17, 1284 – 1291 (2007).
- S. J. Kang, C. Kocabas, T. Ozel, M. Shim, N. Pimparkar, A. Alam, S. V. Rotkin, and J. A. Rogers, “High Performance Electronics Based on Dense, Perfectly Aligned Arrays of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Nature Nanotech. 2, 230 – 236 (2007).
- Q. Cao, M. G. Xia, C. Kocabas, M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, and S. V. Rotkin, “Gate capacitance coupling of single-walled carbon nanotube thin-film transistors,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 023516 (2007).
- Q. Cao, M. G. Xia, M. Shim, J. Rogers, “Bilayer organic-inorganic gate dielectrics for high-performance, low-voltage, single-walled carbon nanotube thin-film transistors, complementary logic gates, and p-n diodes on plastic substrates,” Adv. Functional Mater. 16, 2355 – 2362 (2006).
- K. –W. Kwon, B. H. Lee, and M. Shim, “Structural Evolution in Metal Oxide/Semiconductor Colloidal Nanocrystal Heterostructures,” Chem. Mater. 18, 6357 – 6363 (2006).
- J. H. Back and M. Shim, “pH-Dependent Electron Transport Properties of Carbon Nanotubes,” J. Phys. Chem. B 110, 23736 – 23741 (2006).
- K. D. Matthews, M. G. Lemaitre, T. Kim, H. Chen, M. Shim, and J. –M. Zuo, “Growth Modes of Carbon Nanotubes on Metal Substrates,” J. Appl. Phys. 100, 044309 (2006).
- M. Shim, T. Ozel, A. Gaur, and C. Wang, “Insights on Charge Transfer Doping and Intrinsic Phonon Line Shape of Carbon Nanotubes by Simple Polymer Adsorption,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 7522 – 7530 (2006).
- C. Kocabas, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “Spatially Selective Guided Growth of High-Coverage Arrays and Random Networks of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Their Integration into Electronic Devices,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 4540 – 4541 (2006).
- Cao, Q., Z.-T. Zhu, M. G. Lemaitre, M.-G. Xia, M. Shim, J. A Rogers, “Transparent Flexible Organic Thin Film Transistors That Use Printed Single Walled Carbon Nanotube Electrodes,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 88, 113511 (2006).
- Hua, F., A. Gaur, Y. Sun, M. Word, J. Niu, I. Adesida, M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, and A. Shim, “Processing Dependent Behavior of Soft Imprint Lithography on the 1-10 nm Scale,” IEEE Trans. Nanotech. 5, 301 – 308 (2006).
- Cao, Q., S. H. Hur, Z. Zhu, Y. Sun, C. Wang, M. Meitl, M. Shim, J. A Rogers, “Highly Bendable, Transparent Thin Film Transistors That Use Carbon Nanotube Based Conductors and Semiconductors with Elastomeric Dielectrics,” Adv. Mater. 18, 304 – 309 (2006).
- Hur, S. H., M. H. Yoon, A. Gaur, M. Shim, A. Facchetti, T. J. Marks, J. A. Rogers, “Organic Nanodielectrics for Low Voltage Carbon Nanotube Thin Film Transistors and Complementary Logic Gates,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127, 13808 – 13809 (2005).
- Wang, C., Q. Cao, T. Ozel, A. Gaur, J. A. Rogers, and M. Shim, “Electronically Selective Chemical Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes: Correlation between Raman Spectral and Electrical Responses,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127, 11460 – 11468 (2005).
- Kwon, K.–W. and M. Shim, “gamma-Fe2O3/II-VI Sulfide Nanocrystal Heterojunctions,” J. Am. Chem. Soc, 127, 10268 – 10275 (2005).
- Kocabas, C., S. –H. Hur, A. Gaur, M. Meittl, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “Guided Growth of Large Scale, Horizontally Aligned Arrays of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes and their use in Thin Film Transistors,” Small 1, 1110 – 1116 (2005).
- Ozel, T., A. Gaur, J. A. Rogers, and M. Shim, “Polymer Electrolyte Gated Carbon Nanotube Network Transistors,” Nano Lett. 5, 905 – 911 (2005).
- Hur, S.–H., C. Kocabas, A. Gaur, M. Shim, O. O. Park, and J. A. Rogers, “Printed Thin Film Transistors and Complementary Logic Gates That Use Polymer Coated Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Networks,” J. Appl. Phys. 98, 114302 (2005).
- Shim, M., J. H. Back, T. Ozel, and K. W. Kwon, “Effects of Oxygen on the Electron Transport Properties of Carbon Nanotubes: UV Desorption and Thermally Induced Processes,” Phys. Rev. B, 71, 205411 (2005).
- Hua, F., Y. Sun, A. Gaur, M. Meitl, L. Bilhaut, L. Rotkina, J. F. Wang, P. Geil, M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, and A. Shim, “Polymer Imprint Lithography with Molecular Resolution,” Nano Lett. 4, 2467 – 2471 (2004).
- Kocabas, C., M. Meitl, A. Gaur, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “Aligned Arrays of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Generated from Random Networks by Orientationally Selective Laser Ablation,” Nano Lett. 4, 2421 – 2426 (2004).
- Zhou, Y., A. Gaur, S. –H. Hur, C. Kocabas, M. Meitl, M. Shim, J. A. Rogers, “p-Channel, n-Channel Thin Film Transistors and p-n Diodes Based on Single Wall Carbon Nanotube Networks,” Nano Lett. 4, 2031 – 2035 (2004).
- Siddons, G. P., D. Merchin, J. H. Back, J. K. Jeong, and M. Shim, “Highly Efficient Gating and Doping of Carbon Nanotubes with Polymer Electrolytes,” Nano Lett. 4, 927 - 931 (2004).
- Huxtable, S. T., D. G. Cahill, S. Shenogin, L. Xue, R. Ozisik, P. Barone, M. Usrey, M. S. Strano, G. Siddons, and M. Shim, “Interfacial Heat Flow in Carbon Nanotube Suspensions,” Nature Materials, 2, 731 - 734 (2003).
- Shim, M, and G. P. Siddons, “Photoinduced Conductivity Changes in Carbon Nanotube Transistors,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 3564 - 3566 (2003).
- Willet Faculty Scholar (2010-2014)
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research, University of Illinois (2007)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2004)
- Racheff Assistant Professor, University of Illinois (2002-2004)
- Norton Prize, University of Chicago (2000)